Dr. David Whitaker | Ephesians 5:15-33
The Scriptures begin with a marriage, and they end with a marriage... Marriage has always been God's greatest model of how He relates to humanity. God uses marriage to transform and change us. The goal of Christ when He comes into our life is to be in His image, to be like Him. While we are here on earth, God is using husbands and wives to do that; but the ultimate marriage awaits us in heaven.
Download or listen to In An Environment of Grace to hear more.
These questions are provided for your further study and application of this message. It is helpful to discuss your answers with others such as your Community Group, family, friends or an accountability partner.
- What is your take away from this message?
- What is the wise way for us to walk (vv. 8-18)? Reading the context of v. 18, what does it mean to be "filled with the Spirit"? What does that have to do with v. 21?
- What is unusual about the way Paul applies the general principle of v. 21 specifically to wives (vv. 23-24)? How does the wife emulate Jesus (Philippians 2:5-8; 1 Corinthians 11:1-3; Jesus' relationship with the Father)?
- Who and why does he address husbands the way he does )vv. 25-33)? How does v. 21 apply to husbands? What would it mean for the husband to live with his wife with this type of love? How does the husband emulate Jesus (v. 25)?
- In your own words, how would you express the goal of Christian marriage (v. 31-32)? What does marriage have to do with "Christ and the church"?
- How does the gospel empower as well as become a model for marriage?
- What counter-cultural principles can you work on to be a better spouse (or potential spouse)? What core need does each spouse's obedience meet in the other (see v. 33)?
- Write out a prayer in response to what the Lord has taught you through this study and what steps in response or trust that He might want you to take.