Dr. Jeff Holmes | Philippians 2:1-11
Have you grasped the fullness of God's love? We often reduce the event of Christ's life to just an idea or a concept, but the reality is that it was an actual event for which we ought to be grateful. God tells us how to express our gratitude of what was done on the cross: think like God. The Holy Spirit enfolds us and helps form our thinking so that our thoughts follow Jesus'.
Download or listen to Thinking Biblically to hear more.
These questions are provided for your further study and application of this message. It is helpful to discuss your answers with others such as your Community Group, family, friends or an accountability partner.
- What is your take away from this message?
- When was a time you felt "if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy?" (v.1) Please explain.
- Have you ever set aside personal ambition or seen someone else do it? What happened? (v.3)
- In v.4, we are told to look to the interests of others. Whose interests might you be being called to put ahead of yours right now? How might you accomplish this?
- Why is the statement in v.6 such a big statement that serves as our example? Have you ever witnessed someone grasping after "equality?" Have you ever had to stop grasping after equality?
- In v.9, why did God exalt Jesus to the highest place? What does this say about God's value of the cross and Jesus' humility to take up the cross? When was a time you took up your cross to follow Jesus?
- The cross is central to this whole passage. Where is God currently calling you to take up your cross?
- Write out a prayer in response to what the Lord has taught you through this study and what steps in response or trust He might want you to take.