Dr. Dave Whitaker | Mark 14:1-11
Your relationship with Christ is meant to be based on beauty, not benefit. So where are you in your relationship with Christ? Are you caught up in His beauty? Or are you doing cost/benefit analysis? God poured out His love lavishly the day the veil was torn. That kind of love and beauty will always transform us.
Download or listen to Lavish Love to hear more.
These questions are provided for your further study and application of this message. It is helpful to discuss your answers with others such as your Community Group, family, friends or an accountability partner.
- What is your take away from this message?
- How does this woman's action initially strike you? Thoughtful but misguided? Tasteful but extravagant? Wasteful but...?
- Do you think the perfume could have been better spent? Why? If you had been one of the disciples, what would you have initially said to the woman?
- What is Jesus really saying when he defends the action of the woman (vv. 6-9)?
- Why was this the last straw for Judas (vv. 10-11)?
- How does this inform your own giving? Go back to Mark 12:41-44. How does Jesus' teaching there instruct us?
- What "beautiful thing" might you do for Jesus that might seem "wasted?" How might this story influence your giving in tithes and offerings?
- Write out a prayer in response to what the Lord has taught you through this study and what steps in response He might want you to take.